The WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: . . .”Places that we pass through day after day, or even once in a lifetime, leave in their small way, echoes and traces of themselves upon us. But so often when taking self portraits or pictures of friends, the places themselves become a soft blurred mush of indistinct semi-nothingness, the limelight stolen by our smiling faces. Take a picture of yourself or someone else as a shadow, a reflection, or a lesser part of a scene, making the background, or the foreground, the center of attention.”
On the Friday before Memorial Day, the section of Heisler Park where the 9/11 monument “Semper Memento” is located, stayed quiet. People had gathered elsewhere to listen to a live concert, finish their picnic dinners and wait for the sunset. At Monument Point overlooking the ocean, the flag flew above Veterans’ monument in the background.
Laguna Beach artist, Jorg Durbin created the 9/11 monument to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the event. Steel beams from the wreckage of the World Trade Center rise above a silver reflecting ball.The beams rest on a five-sided base representing the Pentagon and a planter of grass symbolizing the field in Pennsylvania.
I hoped to take a pic of myself with my camera in the reflecting ball, but my image was difficult to discern. I asked my husband to take this shot instead. Durbin wanted people to see their own reflection and become part of the 9/11 memorial. In the end, this feeling was more important to come away with than capturing the perfect blog pic.
Share your “in the background” photo HERE
- Weekly Photo Challenge: In The Background Of My Yard (layedbacklife.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (memorycatcher.me)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (brittenasplund.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (Reflections) (skpfoto.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Background. (jakekuyser.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (vosperdruiter.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: In the Background (steviepreater.wordpress.com)